It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:00 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to pokegen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: General Play Guide
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 am 

Here is a basic guide on how to play pokegen.

I'm going to assume you've downloaded the game from here or here, and are at the starting screen!
It should look very much like this:

At this screen, you'll find a few options:

Single Player gives you the option to test out your moves against dummy Pokemon. In the future, these will be replaced by AI, and more advanced features will be added. To access Single Player, click the single player box.

For Multiplayer, you'll want to pick a name, preferably the name used here to make you easier for others to identify! Simply type your name into the box here:

Start Server is for users wishing to host a game of pokegen and have other players join in. To host a server, you'll want to know your Public IP Address so that you can give it to other players so they can join you!
Your IP, coming from the link above, will look something like this (the asterisks will be numbers) :

Connect to Server is for players looking to join a game hosted by another person. Once someone who has started a server gives you their IP address, simply type it in this box:

Then hit Connect to Server

You can also opt to turn off or turn back on the background music here, using the music button:

Now that you know how to jump into pokegen, let's look at some other options.
First, the Trainer Select option.
Here, you can choose to play as either the default Red, Blue, or a spectator, which can watch matches without UI elements getting in the way.
Simply select the one that matches your choice before connecting to Single Player or a Server, by pressing the corresponding button here:

Pokemon Selection is next.
While normally new trainers will receive their first Pokemon from a professor, such as Oak, we didn't want to make you wait until Pallet Town and much of Route 1 were finished before trying pokegen for yourself!
Simply select between the default Pikachu or Charmander before connecting to Single Player or a Server, by pressing the corresponding button here:

Now, once you've selected your options and connected to either a server or single player mode, you can begin walking with W, A, S, and D keys, and look around with the mouse.

A wild CHARMANDER appeared!
Haha, well, he's just a dummy charmander, but he'll make a good practice target. To initiate a battle(sorry, you can't catch one yet, but if you want to use Charmander, just select him at the opening options!) first, you'll have to call out your Pokemon, using the TAB key.
This is also how you recall your Pokemon to its pokéball.

Once your Pokemon is out of its pokéball, it will follow you unless a battle is initiated. To initiate a battle, look around for wild (or another trainer's) Pokemon, and notice the red highlight.
Simply click on the red-highlighted Pokemon to initiate a battle. Your Pokemon will leave your side, and your camera will swap from your trainer to your Pokemon.

Pokemon wants to battle!

Now, battles are much different here than traditional Pokemon games. Let's notice a few things about our good friend Blue's Charmander.
First, we see his name. Sometime in the future, this slot will be reserved for the Pokemon's nickname. If no nickname is provided, the Pokemon's default name will be used.
Let's look at his level. the higher a Pokemon's level, the stronger it is, and the lower a level, the weaker it is. At the moment, all Pokemon are restricted to level 5. In the future, Pokemon will be able to level up, but for now, to maintain SOME semblance of balance, an equal level is needed.
Health Points or HP are your Pokemon's life. Once your Pokemon is out of HP, it'll faint, and can't battle unless recalled with the TAB key. For now, recalling a Pokemon completely heals it.
Stamina, or Stam has replaced the Power Point or PP system from the traditional games. Stamina is used every time your Pokemon uses a move, and sometimes when an opponent uses a move against you.

Now that your Pokemon is in a battle, you'll notice that the controls are quite a bit different!
First, you move your Pokemon with the mouse now, clicking where you want the Pokemon to go, similar to an RTS-type game.

Now that you know how to move, let's look at attacks:
First, each Pokemon can know no more than 4 attacks. For this preliminary playable build, we've taken the liberty of selecting those for you. To use an attack, simply select the corresponding key on the keyboard. some attacks require you to target. For those, after selecting the attack, you'll click the mouse where you want to attack.

Pikachu's attacks are:
  • Quick Attack [1] - A very fast melee attack that propels the user at high speed toward its target.
  • Thundershock [2] - A chargeable ranged electric attack that has a chance to paralyze.
  • Tail Whip [3] - A defensive attack that spins the opponent around, and deflects projectiles, like Charmander's Ember attack.
  • Thunder Wave [4]- A small-ranged area of effect paralyze spell that deals some stamina damage, as well.

Charmander's attacks are:
  • Scratch [1] - A close-range melee attack.
  • Ember [2] - A mid-range attack that shoots multiple projectiles in a spread, having a chance to cause burn. When the projectiles hit the ground, the molten ground is dangerous to opponents.
  • Growl [3] - An attack used to knockback opponents or interrupt abilities.
  • Smokescreen [4] - This attack, while making it much harder to see, drains the stamina of Pokemon caught in its wake, and also slows them.

Battling an opponent means you'll have to make use of what your skills do, as well as both your HP/Stam and your opponent's! Keep track of your enemy's location relative to where you are, as most attacks (all attacks in our preliminary build) have limited range.

Status ailments, while not yet represented in the Pokemon nameplates (future update), are also important to take note of.
First, there's paralyze.
Paralyze has a chance to cause the Pokemon to be unable to move or attack. At the moment, this can only be caused by Thundershock or Thunder Wave.
You'll know your Pokemon suffers from paralyze when it seems stunned and has a lot of electricity around it, like this:

Then, there's burn.
Burn deals damage over time. What's more, when burn hits, it will interrupt any attack that a Pokemon is trying to perform.
Currently, burn can only be inflicted by Ember.
You'll know your Pokemon suffers from burn when it takes damage from being on fire, like this:

Type Matchups
While there are only two types of Pokemon in pokegen at the moment, type matchups DO still play a factor.
Notice the damage that Pikachu, an electric-type Pokemon, using Thundershock, an electric attack, deals to Charmander here:
Now let's look at the damage coming from the same Pokemon and attack combination, but against ANOTHER Pikachu:
Wow, what a difference! Notice the Not very effective... text, letting you know that this type of attack probably isn't the best idea against this Pokemon.
To learn more about type matchups, Bulbapedia has a great type-chart here.
  • Note: we'll be using the Generations 2-4 chart, not the Generation 1 chart.

Critical Hits
It is also possible to score a critical hit against an opponent, dealing more damage than the attack normally would.
Let's look at Charmander again, being struck by a normal Thundershock:
Now, let's look at the damage done by a Thundershock that happens to deal critical damage:
Notice that it says Critical! to let you know you've dealt some extra damage here! What a sting!

Oh no! Pokemon fainted! Looks like you're going to black out, since you're out of useable Pokemon!
Haha, no not really. You'll just hit TAB to recall your Pokemon for now, and it'll be as good as new!
Far in the future, recalling your Pokemon won't heal them, instead you'll have to rely on Pokemon Centers. But for now, it'd be awful to have to rely on something that isn't there, right?

So you've learned to battle, what else?
At the moment, this is more of a sandbox to let new trainers get a feel for pokegen mechanics. However, you can chat with each other, as well!
Notice that there is a chatbox in the bottom left corner of the screen, outlined in yellow here:
Simply press enter to begin typing your message, then press enter again to send it. Everyone on the map can see your message, so be careful with private details!
When your friends or rivals reply, you'll see their messages in the same window, like so:

Okay, so how to I take a break?
When you want to leave a map/server look in the upper left corner for the disconnect button, shown below:
Just press that button and you'll be taken back to the starting screen.

Here, you can either reconfigure and go to another map, or if you're ready to quit, simply select the quit button to be taken back to your desktop.

Post subject: Re: General Play Guide
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 pm 
Great tutorial, Skitty!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm 

Haha, Skatter =/= Skitty.

It is ironic, however, given the wild Skatter's natural hatred of felines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:31 am 

Nice guide! I like it :) I actually had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to battle when I 1st started. I feel stupid now. ^-^

Edit: Also, I didn't know you could charge up some of the attacks! That could come in handy. :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:17 am 

Mini Maracas wrote:
Nice guide! I like it :) I actually had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to battle when I 1st started. I feel slowpoke now. ^-^

Edit: Also, I didn't know you could charge up some of the attacks! That could come in handy. :P

Well, I'll try to keep this guide updated, or at least relevant, and add other guides as they become necessary.

And yes, attacks are hopefully going to have all kinds of attributes, rather than all being extremely similar. We hope you guys enjoy them :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:28 pm 

now yes! more explanatory tutorial!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm 

I'll do my best to expand on this, and with the next update, I'll try to make sure a video-tutorial follows, as I think changes between these updates will warrant a new guide, anyway, but I can't be sure yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm 

Hoping to see a new update really soon, because im enjoying the look of this very much keep up the great work guys :) can't wait for it to be up and running fully.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:28 pm 

This game is going to be awesome! Really excited for the next updates :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 pm 

Haven't heard from Pokegen in a long time, when can we expect some serious updates or at least some information of the progress so far?

Page 1 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours